Virtualization: 5 Tips To Maximize Results
The virtualization of desktops and servers is a tool that is here to stay. So much so that many IT managers view it as a business strategy as it offers significant benefits. With server virtualization underutilized, for example, you can consolidate new applications and bring down spending on hardware, energy, space and infrastructure, for example.
Desktop virtualization follows the same basic principles of virtualization of servers, allowing you to run multiple operating systems on one machine (PC). But there are very significant differences. Each user has its own operating system, as if making use of a conventional workstation.
Another important feature is noteworthy: the desktop virtualization allows the pooling of information in the data center, including all content generated in the branches or remote units. But these benefits are not automatic. Require some skill on the part of IT staff and, in the medium term, the involvement of other departments.
Without fear of contradiction, most companies have underutilized servers. This is an unjustifiable waste of resources. Therefore, it is worth recalling five tips to maximize the results of virtualization:
- Set the virtualization project before putting it into practice. It is important to determine what will be virtualized and why. Review the available budget for the project, the capacity of current processing and storage, and network size needed to grow;
- Match the existing application server with the new workload. When you suddenly increase the use of an underutilized server, need to check that this additional work is not causing problems – it is sometimes necessary to change applications;
- Put a plan into action for disaster recovery and business continuity in your company. Some of the problems to be solved sooner or later can be solved by virtualizing systems that have no disaster recovery. Virtual environments are capable of maintaining the business regardless of the problems generated by the company;
- Refine internal processes. As a whole carries a new challenge, the sudden increase in the use of desktop or dedicated server requires adjustments in the routine of work. Each company uses a communication pattern: some send communicated via intranet, while others prefer to schedule meetings industry to resolve any operational questions. The important thing is to not to align this new approach to be adopted in the organization as a whole;
- Prioritize safety details. Some vulnerabilities can be magnified in the virtual environment. It is therefore necessary to redouble attention to information security, deploying tools and other access control devices such as firewall and antispam.