Before CIOs faced challenges with increase in the efficiency of storing and processing information, compliance with the requirements and standards, security, and improve business support. To solve them, spent more and more money, but expensive technological resources are often only partially used. For mature data centers operated for a long time, the problem is felt more acutely – they consume a lot of electricity which increases cost for air-conditioning, take up much space. Such data centers are complicated, besides there is a shortage of qualified professionals for their operation.
Basic principles of decision listed are Consolidation, Virtualization and Automation.
Vitaly Manage lots of data centers – The process is very expensive and not always effective. Consolidation reduces the number of data centers and moving simultaneously updating their resources.
Its advantages are:
- Simplification: deliverance from the architectural and functional redundancy that allows you to optimize IT infrastructure and business applications, and processes within an IT organization;
- Standardization: The introduction of a strategic platform company, reference platforms for new applications, a standard set of management tools and any other standards for IT in general;
- Modularity and integration: The creation of the solution components for reuse and replication, their binding to form IT services.
Virtualization as a way to provide public resource pools for dynamic allocation of tasks to avoid problem with the resources. Thanks to the use of server virtualization that can raise from the current 10.5 to 50% and deal with the same equipment over a wide range of tasks.
Implementing virtualization provides at least four advantages:
- Significantly reduce the cost of IT infrastructure;
- Appears flexible Tool management of IT infrastructure, allowing the most efficient needs to meet in computing power;
- Accelerating the deployment of new servers, which gives the opportunity to increase resources and provide the necessary computing power on demand as the organization grows;
- Simplified implementation of innovative business initiatives.
Automating the widespread adoption of the concept of service-oriented IT management and compliance are the reasons of automation of data centers. Moreover, without proper automation and virtualization management, you will not achieve significant benefits. Should be built with fully automated service operation using ITIL processes, standardized in all data centers. With the construction of service-oriented data center standardization processes and the economic benefits of investment becomes more tangible.
Application of these approaches to the effective management of resources provides:
- Optimization of costs by consolidating resources, reducing energy consumption, optimizing the number of computer data center and their location, reducing operating costs by standardization and modularity;
- Scalable data center to support and enable new business initiatives;
- Reducing risks of the enterprise by updating the technology, using the best industry standards, as well as the optimization and standardization of IT processes.
- How Cloud Computing Is Changing The Labor Market - March 25, 2015
- Adopting Infrastructure as a Service Can be a Good Deal - March 17, 2015
- Will Virtualize? Take These Six Points Into Consideration - March 12, 2015