Today almost all us know the importance of cloud computing. Whether you use public, hybrid, virtual private or private cloud you are always benefitted with the scalability, instant provisioning, virtualized resources and ability to expand the server base quickly.
Public cloud is what most people refer to when they say “cloud computing.” It refers to a computing service model used for cloud storage and computation services to the general public over the internet. Moreover, you can access the IT resources on a “pay as you go” billing model.
In case of a private cloud the services are provided behind a firewall. They are only accessible to the single organization. Private cloud offers virtualization and centralization without any security problems that may otherwise arise from a public cloud.
Hybrid cloud offers a mix of public and private cloud services. Hybrid cloud is particularly valuable for dynamic or highly changeable workloads.
In this article we have listed the advantages of Public Cloud and Private Cloud in cloud server hosting.
Advantages of Private Cloud
- You get more flexibility as your organization can customize its cloud environment to meet specific business needs.
- Improved security is one of the biggest pros. Private cloud does not allow resource sharing thus offering higher levels of control and security.
- You get high scalability and efficiency like a public cloud.
Note that private clouds can be expensive as compared to public cloud. It is not economical for average Small-to-Medium sized business. However, it can be quite beneficial for large enterprises. As mentioned above, private clouds are great to address security concerns and compliance, and keeping assets within the firewall.
Advantages of Public Cloud
- One of the biggest reasons to choose Public Cloud is lower costs. It is because of the “Pay as you use” model.
- As you do not purchase the hardware or software there is no question of maintenance. Your service provider provides the maintenance.
- Get high scalability & reliability as you get on-demand resources to meet your business needs.
- with a vast network of servers to guard against failure.
In case of public cloud one of the disadvantage is that it may not be the right fit for every organization. Some of the limitations include configuration, security, and SLA specificity which makes it less-than-ideal for companies that use sensitive data that is subject to compliancy regulations.
Fully private clouds are not delivered through a utility model or pay-as-you-go basis. This is because the hardware is dedicated. However, Virtual Private Clouds offer the same pay-as-you-go model as public clouds, with the added bonus of specifically provisioned hardware, network and storage configurations.
Private clouds, including Virtual Private Cloud Storage, are generally preferred by mid and large size enterprises because they meet the security and compliance requirements of these larger organizations and their customers.
The cloud service market is quite unpredictable. As per experts it will experience a sea change with significant market shifts in the coming years. Therefore, it is important that the cloud computing service providers must look at expanding their service offering through introduction of Virtual Private Clouds (VPC). So, what is your take on the Virtual Private Cloud? Do Let us know…