What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing as a definition remains very controversial. When asked define cloud computing, definition is stated liable to a particular application with no unanimous definition, making it altogether vague. Let’s see below few definitions of Cloud computing to get a hint of it:
1) The practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet to store, manage, and process data, rather than a local server or a personal computer. This is an internet definition of Cloud computing.
2) Cloud computing is a computing term or metaphor that evolved in the late 2000s, based on utility and consumption of computing resources. Cloud computing involves deploying groups of remote servers and software networks that allow centralized data storage and online access to computer services or resources; says Wikipedia!
3) Whatis says Cloud computing a general term for anything that involves delivering hosted services over the Internet. These services are broadly divided into three categories: Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS).
4) Gartner group ‘A forecaster of Information technology’ defines cloud computing as a style of computing in which scalable and elastic IT-enabled capabilities are delivered as a service using Internet technologies.
5) National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which defines the standard, defines cloud computing as, a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction.
6) The IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) defines cloud computing in two working drafts. The P2301 (Cloud Profiles) draft highlights different ecosystem of cloud such as cloud vendors, service providers, and users. P2302 (Intercloud) draft provides definition on topology, functions, and governance for cloud-to-cloud interoperability and federation.
7) Short and snappy definition of Cloud computing from all the above definitions, concluded as per me is: A computing paradigm with virtual network of remote servers allowing users to store, process and access data, providing on-demand computational services with features like elasticity, scalability, security and redundancy is Cloud computing.
For more information on Cloud computing read my next post: “Cloud Computing: A Broader Perspective! “
Please share your views and knowledge on Cloud computing, by commenting on this post.
Latest posts by Vaishnavi Kulkarni (see all)
- Embrace the Future with Cloud Computing! - September 8, 2015
- Cloud computing impact on growth of ecommerce applications - August 25, 2015
- 6 Reasons that Cloud Computing is transforming Banking Sector - August 24, 2015