Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 contains just the Windows hypervisor and other kernel components to support virtualization. It is a simplified and optimized stand-alone server virtualization product.It easily plugs into customers’ IT existing environments leveraging their existing patching, provisioning, management and support tools and processes. ITPros can easily to leverage their existing knowledge and skills with Microsoft virtualization products, as well as the collective knowledge of the community, minimizing any learning curve. Since Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 is built on the Windows hypervisor, it has an inherently more secure architecture with no third-party device drivers in it.
The key new features in Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 are:
- Live Migration
- Host Clustering
- Support for up to 64 Logical Processors
- Processor Compatibility Mode for live migration– allows live migration across different CPU versions within the same processor family, (e.g.”Intel Core 2-to-Intel Pentium 4” or “AMD Opteron-to-AMD Athlon”) enabling migration across a broader range of Hyper-V host hardware.
- Networking Enhancements:
- VM Chimney (TCP Offload) and VMQ support are disabled by default
- Jumbo Frame Support
- Improved network performance via support for TCP Chimney and VMQ (specific hardware NICs required)
- Performance Enhancements:
- Hot Add/Remove of storage (VHDs and Pass Through Disks)
- Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) processor support for both Intel (EPT) and AMD (RVI)
- Core Parking
- Improved VHD performance for dynamic and difference disks