Dedicated Server update PHP 5.3.3 to above for Joomla 3.x

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated Server update PHP 5.3.3 to above for Joomla 3.x

Good evening everyone and thanks in advance to those will help. My website is based on Joomla 2.5.xe which is currently hosted on an unmanaged server that has following configuration setup:

- Parallels Plesk -> v12.0.18_build1200140606.15 OS CentOS 6
    - OS -> CentOS 6.5 (Final)
    - PHP 5.3.3;
    - Service Plesk;
    - Intel® Core ™ i5-2500 @ 3.30 GHz;
    - Well 8 GB of RAM;
    - Bandwidth Unmetered.

My intention is to update my website to higher version of Joomla i.e. 3X, but do that I need remoteness from a server to a PHP 5.3.3 or 5.3.10 or higher (while we’re better directly version 5.4).

I was also told that the CentOS 6.5 does not go well with PHP 5.3.10 and that the best solution is to go directly to the stable version of CentOS 7 with PHP 5.4

I am not a system administrator or systemic knowledge; I only know web designing and other Webmaster related stuff. So I contacted my provider, but he says they are only installed at the time of purchase (which occurred more than two years ago) and the network management.

As it might cost, and where to find it, a system analyst who without unsubscribe nor ruin the functionality of the Site Web Portal and can bring the server to CentOS 7 with PHP 5.4?

Thanks in advance to all

The jump from CentOS6 to CentOS7 with Plesk above seems unwise to me (in direct words – unnecessary). The 6.5 version is as old releases and bugs with very serious issues. I hope it is a typo, and you are on the current 6.7.

Comment

First of all, it is not correct that PHP version higher than 5.3 cannot be installed on CentOS 6. We have servers from ESDS where we running PHP 5.4 and 5.5 without any problems on CentOS 6 with Plesk, but I would not encourage you to do so without the help of someone who is experienced, because you will find yourself at a risk such as unstable system if you do not now know how to do it in a proper way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arav View Post
        The jump from CentOS6 to CentOS7 with Plesk above seems unwise to me (in direct words – unnecessary). The 6.5 version is as old releases and bugs with very serious issues. I hope it is a typo, and you are on the current 6.7.
        I own version of CentOS 6.5 (final) that as I said earlier, I would not have any more because it is outdated and because – (so I’m told) – PHP 5.4 has often problems with the CentOS 6.5 and is perfect with CentOS 7. Can you confirm that? I repeat that I am not a system administrator (that’s why I asked how much it would cost me to do this upgrade to another OS and PHP). What do you recommend?

Originally posted by Abner View Post
        First of all, it is not correct that PHP version higher than 5.3 cannot be installed on CentOS 6. We have servers from ESDS where we running PHP 5.4 and 5.5 without any problems on CentOS 6 with Plesk, but I would not encourage you to do so without the help of someone who is experienced, because you will find yourself at a risk such as unstable system if you do not now know how to do it in a proper way.
        They did not say that it is impossible but that often give problems. See the answer that I gave to above. Your opinion is very welcome and thanks in advance if you would further elaborate.

Comment

The latest version of CentOS 6 is 6.7 not 6.5, however, we never had problems with PHP 5.4 on CentOS 6.x not with rpm packages and now with recompiling from source.

Comment

I still do not understand what you advise me to do and that cost. Thank you

Comment

Very simply upgrade to CentOS 6.7 (not version 7) and then upgrade to PHP version desired. We do not carry out this type of work on machines that are not ours, but this forum is attended by professionals, so I do not think there will be problems in finding a system analyst that can perform this work. The cost of an operation of this type may vary, depending on the time it takes to install them on the current configuration.

Comment

Thanks for your response;

1) You recommend CentOS 6.7 because there is no version 7 or why?
                2) How do I know that the system administrator does not create problems to portal?

Comment

No, there is a version 7, but it’s a considerable jump (change many things in the system) and should upgrade to the latest release of 6, that solves a lot of things in terms of security and still receive updates. The system update should (unless of custom configurations’ in site and in Plesk) break anything or as the update of PHP.

Comment

System engineer will make sure that the portal continues to work as expected after you upgrade to PHP 5.4 / 5.5, but you will have to work with him together because you’re the only one who is totally aware of its insights. So it would be essential for you to coordinate with System Admin to avoid any possible incompatibility.

Comment

I think the ideal way to go is to find a system able and enlisted to upgrade to CentOS 6.7, which should also not bring any problems to the system because it is just wide update and bug-fixed version then you can update to PHP 5.4 or 5.5 using RPMs (webtatic.com). But here, who will do the job should be more careful and if there are compatibility issues then you will have to be even there available to verify the application side if something goes wrong.

However, no one can give guarantees in advance, especially if the server has not been followed update since the beginning by same technician. The suggestion is to move to a managed plan where the date nature is made regularly.

Comment

ban-img
                      Working...
                      X